Wednesday 2 May 2012


The Making the Most of Moorlands project recently played host to a student from Moulton College in Northamptonshire. Kate spent a week in Langholm undertaking works experience.

 This is what Kate had to say after her week in Langholm:

'I'm so glad I chose to spend a week in Langholm as it has taught me so much and has given me a wide range of experience, which has made me come home to Warwickshire feeling like a different person. I became interested to in the project when Dr Cat Barlow came to my college, Moulton College in Northampton, and gave a presentation. I was interested in the project because I take BTEC Level 3 Subsidiary Diploma in Countryside Management and wish to pursue my future career in conservation and ecology after going to University.
Being only seventeen and in my first year in my course at college it meant that I had not done much work experience so the experience at Langholm was fantastic because it covered a variety of tasks.
I experienced many things in the week I was there, from setting out mustelid tunnels, seeing the hen harriers, to moorland walks, ringing birds and even a wild food forage. None of which can I actually say was my favourite part as I found them all amazing and interesting.
I came home overwhelmed with information that I had learnt and I have found that I am much more confident in identifying plants, birds, mustelids and even the skeletons of some animals. I would have loved to have had longer than a week to spend at Langholm as it was outstanding experience and I would happily go back.'
Kate Howe (17 yrs, Warwickshire) Moulton College

No comments:

Post a Comment